Sunday, June 25, 2006

The Long Summer Hours

Sorry I haven't updated this blog recently. My life for the past month or so has been pretty boring, so there has been little inspiration to write. I go to work every day and do the same things that I did the day before, which quite frankly is mind numbingly boring to experience, let alone write about. Thus there hasn't been much to write about. I beat "The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker" for the first time and am currently working on the second time. There really is no rhyme or reason why, other than I am bored, and it is easier to stay awake until bedtime playing the GameCube than reading or watching TV. I'm beginning to think that I should really get out of the house more in the evenings. Maybe I should go find a coffee shop that has a big comfortable chair and read there where the caffeine is in the air. I promise that was not intended to rhyme, it just turned out that way, okay. Alright, that was intended to rhyme. I think it's about time. I read a book about Gabriel Syme. I like to eat lime. I need to find a way to pass the time. Maybe I'll learn to be a mime. I'm stopping now, because, well, that's a little embarrassing.

I haven't done as much reading as I would have liked. The long days at the office staring at a computer screen gets to me after a while, so I'm disinclined to spend my evenings staring at small print. That and I like playing Nintendo. I'm still reading A Bridge Too Far by Cornelius Ryan. It's interesting, but sometimes I just want a plot. George Orwell's 1984 has been sitting on my nightstand just waiting to be read, but I don't like reading more than one book at a time. But I'm less than half way through A Bridge Too Far and I'm craving a solid plot line and a limited number of characters. A Bridge Too Far is interesting, but it jumps around a lot between the various companies as they advance on Arnhem and the surrounding towns. I might set it aside for a while and read some fiction then come back to it. I don't know how many times the library will let me renew it though. It's fun hauling around a book like that though, it definitely gets some weird looks. "It's about Operation Market-Garden," I say. Most of the time I get a blank stare. It's all good though.

Reading A Bridge Too Far has brought to my attention the fact that I don't think I would mind being a history teacher. Sometimes history can be so fascinating, thinking about the causes and effects of wars and thinking about the people that fought in them. In high school the readings Mr. Rowland gave us always piled up in my room, unread and collecting dust, only to find their way to a trash can later. But now I wish I had actually read some of them. I'm sure I would have done better in the class, but perhaps more importantly, I actually would have learned something and realized that I liked history before going off and getting a degree in something else.

No comments: