Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Flying

I’ve enjoyed flying for as long as I can remember. I was that kid with my nose pressed to the window watching the ground slip away beneath the wings of the plane. It was magic. A lot of times, knowing how something works, the intricacies of it, the scientific reason why something is possible, takes away the sense of wonder. But knowing, though roughly and in the vaguest of terms, how an airplane works hasn’t changed that awe. Maybe that’s why I enjoy flying so much.

I’m reminded of the poem about ‘slipping the surly bonds of earth’ and ‘touching the face of God’ that I memorized in middle school (and have mostly forgotten in the ten years since…oh my gosh, it’s been ten years since middle school). Maybe God didn’t give us wings to start with so that we could be in awe when He did.

Anyway, the cabin crew is picking up the trash, and the fasten seatbelt sign just popped back on, so I guess we’re almost to Panama. It’s been a good flight. They aren’t stingy with food on this airline. We got little sandwiches and Oreos with our pretzels.

P.S. In case you're wondering, I wrote this on the plane, then published it later. I was not on the internet on the plane, although that would have been cool.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you seen this video about flying?

Hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jETv3NURwLc

Br. Blessings said...

Wow OK!!

Laura said...

Karin-That video is great! I've actually had to explain rotary phones to my students before. I love that he calls us "the crappiest generation of idiots." I'm not sure if I should laugh or be insulted.

Blessings-Hi!