Monday, May 10, 2010

New Glass

I got a new camera lens on eBay today. I'm really excited about it. Enough so that I'm writing a blog post about it. I've always had a thing for photography. As I kid I dreamed about becoming a photographer and traveling the world taking pictures of things. But somewhere around my sophomore year in high school, I earned a 'B' in photography and decided that it was something at which I would never excel. That's what a 'B' meant to me. Because I'm Asian. Sort of. Anyway, it was the only time I received anything less than an A+ in an elective, so I figured I must be pretty awful. I don't really know why I got a 'B' in photography. I do remember opening one of the school cameras in a dark bag that wasn't zipped all the way and ruining a whole roll of film. I suspect it was too technical for my brain to handle at the time. Also, developing film is really difficult.

Fast forward seven years and I've graduated from college, have a job and some steady income. I buy a digital point and shoot. And over time, the pictures I take become better. I can see results immediately. This is what I was missing in high school photography! Immediate feedback. I finally was able to compare results right then and there and try to fix them. So a few years later I had the opportunity to buy a DSLR and I took it. I'm so glad I did. Every time I take it out, I get a little bit better. I'm learning a new art form and documenting life as I do.

So, three years after getting my digital point and shoot, I've taken almost 4,000 pictures. Most of them are of my cat. Who could resist that face?

No comments: