Friday, October 31, 2003

The Joys of the Holidays

This evening 4 of my house mates and I decided to carve pumpkins in celebration of Halloween. I carved a bat (not of my own design, we had this kit thing) and Kerry carved ADK into one side of hers and a face into the other. It was her first time. She was excited. After we were done carving, we thought it would be a good idea to make a pumpkin pie from the flesh we had cut away. We didn't realize that this would take several hours. Try 3 hours. And I missed ER. Dang it. But anyway, that is why I'm still awake at 2 in the morning, and I have a class in 7 hours, and I need my beauty sleep. We ended up not having enough pumpkin, so we added sugar. We were only 1/4th of a cup short, but still. On the other hand, more sugar isn't necessarily bad.

The great thing about cooking in college is you never have all of the ingredients that you need. For example, we don't have any shortening/lard, so we substituted butter. Thankfully we have a nutrition major in our house, so she can tells us if we can sub something like that. The crust isn't as fluffy and light, but it works and tastes good.

5 minutes later.....
ok, we just pulled it out of the oven and it looks GREAT!!!!! The baking crew has succeeded again!!!! It's AWESOME. And it was even Kerry's first pie. It's amazing how well things turn out when you follow directions. yay, that makes me happy. Anyway, now that that's over, I think I'm gonna go enjoy some pie!

No comments: