Thursday, May 28, 2009

Hi. You May Not Remember Me. I'm Laura. I Write This Blog

I've started writing a blog post no less than four times in the last month, but each time I got about three sentences into it and realized that I was whining (again), when I really had nothing to whine about. The things about which I complained were petty at best, things that I deal with every...single...day. So I didn't feel like I should whine about them, because that would only encourage this habit of whining about silly things (like having Memorial Day right before the end of school. I have my reasons, but why am I whining about a three day weekend?).

To be honest, my life has been pretty comfortable for the last month since Guys and Dolls ended. Happy, comfortable growth. This has been a semester for personal victories. Here are a few:

1. I stood up to someone who I would have let run me over a year ago.
2. I directed a musical, and it was okay. Not great, I dare not even say good, but we got through it, and the kids--and maybe me, too--had fun.
3. I got my guitar string callouses back. And a new guitar. It sounds pretty.
4. I got over my fear of calling parents. I think they're more afraid of me than I am of them. I still don't like it, but I'll do it. One area that needs growth: sounding like an adult. I called a parent and they asked me three times if I was the teacher. Maybe it's my youthful enthusiasm. Or sarcasm. Just kidding.
5. I get to keep my job. Not an area of personal growth, but I think it speaks to my growth over the last year and a half, so I feel justified including it in this list. Yeah, I'm pretty stoked about that.

No comments: