Wednesday, April 25, 2007

For Old Time's Sake...

I'm a little sad to say that for the last time in my undergraduate college career I am posting on my blog to avoid writing an essay. Okay, who am I kidding? I'm ecstatic! The thought that sixteen years of school are about to come to a close is overwhelming to say the least. Maybe that's why I've been stalling writing this paper. I've been thinking about it for a few weeks now, idly toying with thesis after thesis, eventually rejecting all of them and deciding that I'll start tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow. Could it be that I don't actually want this experience to end? Part of me says get me out of here, I'm tired of this, I can't write another paper. Then I think about the good stuff, like sitting on the couch at 4 o'clock in the morning with the roommates talking about Pavlov's dog, or walking home after a long day of school through that garden south of Landis Hall, or wandering through the stacks of Strozier Library picking books to skim based solely on their covers, or that amazing feeling of being done, done, DONE!, if only for the summer.

Speaking of summer, I was over at Curt's house (no surprise) and whilst standing there in the evening sunshine waiting for him to come to the door, I smelled summer. First it was just a waft of something, so I moved around the corner and the smell got stronger. It was that sweet smell, like a flowery bush heavy with blooms. I couldn't see it, but it was nearby, maybe in the neighbor's yard. And for a moment, I was six again, catching bumble bees in a Mason jar off that bush by the driveway. That's what it smelled like, that bush by the driveway. Then Curt came out and caught me thinking about dandelion bracelets, sun tea and backyard baseball (behind-the-meat-house baseball after we broke the parlor window).

So, it feels like summer in Tallahassee. For some reason it's been unseasonably pleasant for this time of year. Usually by the end of April it's unbearably hot and on the verge of being sticky, but these last few weeks have been full of days that make you walk slower to class and sunshine that makes you feel sorry for people who live in Minnesota. Perhaps everything is rose tinted by the nostalgia I'm starting to feel, but somehow I think God made these last few weeks just for me.

No comments: