Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Job Search and a Mild Obsession

I am finally getting the wheels rolling on this whole teaching thing. I spent half of this afternoon calling local high schools to see if they have open positions and had a moment or two of grinning hope coupled with several moments of mild panic when I heard receptionist after receptionist say, "No, all of our teaching positions are filled." But there remain a select few high schools that still need teachers, so I am resting on those few.

On a pseudo-whim, I called Focus on the Family to see if they had internships available for Adventures in Odyssey. This, I have to say, has been a dream of mine since childhood (hence pseudo-whim). Well, not an internship specifically, more like a job, but I will start with small steps. Some of my earliest memories are of sitting in the kitchen on a Saturday morning listening to Odyssey and playing paper football with Paul. I remember also setting the alarm on my watch so that I would remember to come inside at 3:30 or 4:30 or 5:30 (I don't remember which) every weekday afternoon to listen to the reruns. I still listen to them online at work. I got Adventures in Odyssey CD or tape sets every Christmas until my second year of college. And I actually listened to them. A lot. (Oh, parents, by the way, they have the old classics out on CD now, it's called the Gold Audio Series, I think. I want them :-). And a MacBook.) Most of the tape sets are incomplete because we listened to them so many times that they wore out, or were eaten by the tape player. I learned half of my vocabulary from Eugene Meltsener, and I know Isaiah 41:10 in some random version because that's what was on Odyssey. I know who many of the actors are (at least the old ones), and in some cases I could tell you who else they've voiced. It's a little sad, actually.

Random anecdote, I was watching some old episodes of Quantum Leap or maybe 21 Jump Street with one of my roommates and I hear this voice, and I'm thinking, I've heard this voice. So I sit there for a minute and then I realize, this guy was on Odyssey! He played Horatio Spafford on the episode, "It Is Well" (and many others I'm sure).

Honestly, I think it was Adventures in Odyssey that started my love for the theatre and performing arts in general.

Anyway, that's what I did today, other than work. I really should have written a cover letter, but I fell asleep after I got home and then ended up watching The Office Marathon on NBC, because, well, who doesn't like The Office?

No comments: