Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Possibilities

Now that Arsenic and Old Lace is over, thoughts of next year have begun flooding my mind. The ever-present question of what to do for our fall play, one act and [gulp] the spring musical looms over my head. I have all summer to decide these things, but with students asking almost daily what we're doing next year, throwing out suggestions, and begging to design the set or be technical director, I can't escape it. So, I've begun searching. Well maybe not searching--because that would require effort--but definitely downloading musicals from iTunes to expand my library and hopefully fall enough in love with one of them to do it next year.

I'm currently rocking out to Godspell, which, I have to admit, is pretty groovy. I saw it a when University did it ages ago, but didn't remember much about it, other than who played the lead as well as a freshman who got a long solo, and that it had that one song that DC Talk covered. Anyway, I'm digging it. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on a script. I talked to Mrs. D at State, and Godspell was her first musical, so it can't be too bad of an option. Also, Stephen Schwartz wrote the music for it, and I happen to adore one of his more recent works, Wicked.

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum was also suggested by another District V sponsor, but I haven't heard it yet, so I will reserve judgment, although the thought of a musical comedy is quite appealing. It is also written by a famous composer/lyricist, Stephen Sondheim (Sweeney Todd, West Side Story lyrics, Gypsy lyrics, Company, Assassins, Into the Woods).

I've got some options. Why I'm worrying about this instead of the fall play, I'm not sure. But plays are so much harder to find because there so many of them.

No comments: