Saturday, August 09, 2008

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

I love sports, so it goes without saying that the Olympic Games every four years (or two if we're counting the Winter Games) are a highlight of the year. I love everything about them. Growing up, I remember the lighting of the torch with a flaming arrow at Barcelona, and a shaking Muhammed Ali lighting the torch in Atlanta. I remember watching Kerri Strug make that famous vault to win the Gold Medal in the Gymnastics Team competition. I remember watching in horror as the Russians won gold over the Canadians in figure skating (okay, that's Winter Olympics, but who cares) in 2002. And I love watching the sports that you only get to watch every four years because of lack of interest in the States.

More than watching the sports, I like hearing about the people. The athletes worked incredibly hard to get to Beijing, and it's fun to celebrate with them when they succeed, and feel for them when they fall short.
Anyway, if you need me, I'll be in front of the TV, rooting for Team USA (that sounds so 90s for some reason).

No comments: