Saturday, August 02, 2008

The End of a Languid Summer

Well, it's August. The new school year begins in a couple of weeks. Although one week of freedom remains, I have accomplished very little this summer. There was plenty of sleeping, reading for fun, playing Nintendo, and absolutely no working. It is generally around this time of year, at the end of periods such as this that I begin to feel particularly worthless. I've been unable to motivate myself to actually get things done, save for a few days here and there. A handful of days of productivity in two full months of vacation.

I remember feeling this way at the end of the summer before my Senior year of high school. I'd put off all of my summer work until that last week and spent most of it researching, writing, translating and reading.

I've been so lazy this summer that I've hardly written anything, and have failed to meet my post quota again. Let's hope the school year gives me something to write about.

Here, in the spirit of self-loathing, is list of things I wanted to do this summer and didn't:

  • Learn at least 2 new songs on the piano
  • Read 6 plays (I read 4)
  • Find a One Act to do at Districts
  • Redo my room
  • Loose 20 pounds (I've lost 10-ish. Okay, 8-ish)
  • Design the Fall play (I've done one [bad] sketch)
  • Write lesson plans for the first 2 semesters of school (ambitious, I know)
  • Make something
  • Grow spiritually
  • Learn how to care for theatrical lights
Thing I have done:
  • Cleaned my room (hey, that's an accomplishment)
  • Watched a whole lot of movies (yay Netflix)
  • Doodled a LOT
  • Learned to play "Sweet Home Alabama" on the guitar
  • Beaten Mario Kart Wii
  • Beaten Super Mario Galaxy
  • Beaten Battalion Wars II (are you getting a good picture of my summer?)
  • Finished Pride and Prejudice
  • Slept a LOT

No comments: