Tuesday, December 30, 2003

A Not So Debilitating Disability

I was born with slightly different bone structure than most people. My mother's first reaction (well, perhaps not first) at my birth was, 'oh no, she has her father's fingers.' You see, my father and I share something (whose scientific word I don't know) called stiff fingers, which means six of my fingers bend only at the top joint. This 'disability' has made sure that I: 1) will stay out of the military 2) will never be able to climb ropes 3) won't live a normal life because everywhere I go someone will say, 'what happened to your fingers?' and 4) will not be able to play stringed instruments...or will I?!? Up until today, I was thoroughly convinced that I would never be able to play guitar to any extent. Then today happened, and I picked up my brother's guitar, found an old Chord chart and began manipulating my fingers to fit the little dots on the 6 vertical lines. And low and behold, I could do it!! Some chords are harder than others, and some I am not physically able to do, but most of them are mine!!! Most of them can be played by me, the one who should never have been able to play guitar at all! Sure, I will probably never be the best guitarist in the world, but the fact that I can do even one song on the guitar is amazing. Like whoa, and thank you God.

PS-My fingers hurt, but for once, I DON'T CARE!!!!!!

No comments: