Saturday, October 06, 2007

You Can Come In Today

I awoke Friday morning to the sound of my cell phone ringing. I shook the sleep out of my voice as I flipped open my phone. Colonial. Dang it. "Hi, Laura. This is J at Colonial. You can come in today if you want." It was 7:30, and there was no way I wanted to face my new students without time to prepare. So, I opted to start work on Monday.

That afternoon I went to the main campus to just orient myself, find the light switches, you know. I got there around 1:45 and spent a little bit of time in the office and then made my way over to the drama room, my room, to look around. The front doors to the PAC were locked, so I went around the sides and started trying doors. I rounded the corner and heard a promising chatter behind one. So I knocked. The door burst open and I was met by six or seven drama students. "Are you the new drama teacher?" "Yeah, I am." And then I was being hugged by some person I've never met. Pretty crazy. After that I went inside and met the substitute whose been teaching the drama classes for the last two weeks. She did her best to scare me out of my mind. Watch out for these four, I had to give them referrals. The drama 3 and 4 kids are really good students, but they like to talk a lot. So after that we went over what they've done so far, at least to her knowledge. It wasn't much, and it sounded pretty boring anyway.

So, I have until Monday to figure out what I'm doing with these kids in our first class. The sub will still be around to help with the transition, and we'll see how that goes. Monday I'm on the freshman campus, Tuesday on main.

In other news, I got my laptop today, and have spent the entire afternoon trying to figure out how everything works. I think I'm getting it, but it will take a while.

No comments: