Sunday, November 04, 2007

Not Scary Enough

I've decided that I'm not scary enough. I remember going into "Les Miserables" being completely terrified to miss a rehearsal. Despite my warnings, my cast doesn't seem worried about missing rehearsal. As much as I don't want to, I may have to cut someone, just to prove a point. I hope it's not someone I like. But the fact is, several of them have missed rehearsals without telling me why, or even telling me in advance, and that is--frankly--not cool. I want to give them some time to settle in and work things out with their parents as far as rides go, because I remember what it was like being in high school, but at the same time, there hasn't been one rehearsal where someone wasn't standing in for someone else. Considering that we are less than 4 weeks from opening night, that is not good.

I have to be scary. Develop that look. Do something so that they will pay attention and quit goofing around. Maybe I need to grow up a little too. I think that might be my problem. I'm so young and so close to their age that they make a joke, and I totally get it, so I make a joke too, and then we start going back and forth and we don't get anything done. Did I mention that I spent half an hour talking about Nintendo with some of my cast last week when we should have been rehearsing? I need to quit that. It's not good for anyone.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Hispanic festival was on Friday in the PAC. They needed someone to run the fly, and since none of my students know how to use the fly safely, I stayed and did it for them. It has been a really long time since I've done anything like that. No matter how evenly weighted the grand drape is, getting 3000 pounds of anything moving is going to take some energy. Doing it upwards of 20 times quickly and in the span of two hours is downright exhausting. My hands are bruised from the rope, despite the leather gloves I wore. I think it was worth it though. A few hours of my work will hopefully be returned in the form of clean dressing rooms and a good relationship with that club in the future. If not, well, they can do their own fly work next year, and it's not my fault if someone gets a grand drape on top of them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think that you need to make it very clear that you are not their peer. as tempting as it is to be cool, it's better to act older than you are, i'd say.

and if you have to cut somebody, do it, and do it soon. and actually, you don't even necessarily have to cut them, you can demote them too.

lil' brudder