Wednesday, January 23, 2008

An Old Light Bulb

I'm beginning to get burned out. It's not difficult to figure out why. Since we got back from Christmas break, I've been working intensely on getting ready for the District Thespian Competition this coming weekend. We are almost ready. Almost, however, is far from where I think we should be. With a little over 48 hours until our first event performs on Saturday, the group sat on the edge of the stage, reluctant to use the remaining time for rehearsal. I fail to grasp the logic behind this behavior. The knowledge that a panel of judges will sit behind a table looking for errors with which to rip you apart would scare me into rehearsal, whether I liked the piece or not.

This procrastination on the part of my students is beginning to drive me insane. How could they not be freaking out about this? Perhaps they are more courageous than I, for they do not fear the pen-wielding judges. Perhaps they are simply foolish. I actually have two students who have yet to rehearse together. Neither of them takes Drama, so I don't see them to remind them that, by the way, the judges are merciless, and they're representing the troupe, not just their sorry selves. They'd better not say they, "proudly represent" our troupe, because frankly, them going is a courtesy to a senior who was in Christmas Carol before dropping out/getting the boot.

I'm getting burned out. Spending afternoons with unmotivated high school students will do that to you.

No comments: